This morning I brushed a coat of the thick Coastal Enterprises FSC-88 WB primer onto the piece. In some areas I used it to smooth things out, while in others the primer was used to add a little texture. As per their instructions I put a fan onto the piece and did something else while it dried.
Then I painted on two coats of a water based gold metallic paint (Modern Masters) He was looking pretty solid and rich looking at this point. This paint was also brushed on an allowed to dry thoroughly between coats. I made sure I painted well onto the areas that would be getting the next color. This meant I would only have to cut once, saving time.
Then I added the color to the border using a rich red metallic (also Modern Masters paint) I used the raised ridge as a cut line making the job easy and quick.
I have a fan on the piece now and it will stay there until this afternoon sometime. Then I'll start adding the glazes which will bring this piece alive in a few minutes. I'll be posting pictures and maybe even a movie of that process to show just how easy it is. Stay tuned...