WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Finally an idea I like


Designing projects, especially one for myself can be challenging at times. When it's for me I tend to second guess myself more. I've been trying to come up with a medallion on the frame under the mechanical fish for some time. Over the last days I've done numerous sketches and a lot of research. Finally I just buckled down, determined to come up with something cool. It took four pages of scribbles in my sketchbook before the idea came together.

The design had to be highly decorative and yet not overpower the fish above. Finally I settled on five elements to the design. A riveted ring tied the design to the oval around the fish. A gear signified the mechanical theme. A compass rose made it nautical. The scroll provided a place for the shipyard name. And a 'D' plopped in the middle was a fun way to sign it (this being a 'D-CLASS' vessel and all.

The drawing below is the ten minute scribble - right out of my sketchbook, done with a ballpoint pen. It would make a fine tattoo on the captain's arm I'm sure.


As always it will be refined and altered as necessary as I build the 3D files in EnRoute and Illustrator. Once I'm done routing  hand work and sculpting will embellish and refine it even more. I look forward to the process of bringing this idea to life. 

Stay tuned...

-dan