It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Monday, September 16, 2013

Retro Eveline

I've always loved the retro, streamlined, modern scripts on old cars and fridges which inspired my choice of lettering for Eveline's name plaque. I decided it needed to be in a simple oval with a textured background. The vectors were created in EnRoute. a little kerning was necessary. I first created a flat relief.

The next step was to modify the flat oval relief by raising the center portion using the dome tool.

Then I added a texture called chicken scratch with a value of 0.15"

I then used the splotches bitmap to add a gentle overall texture to the inside oval.

I then created a flat relief using the lettering outline. It was 0.45" tall.

I then modified this flat relief using the dome tool and the inside oval vector. I used the same values for the doming so the curve matched the base oval.

I then nudged the lettering outline vertically into position in the front view.

This was then merged highest with the base relief.

Lastly I added the lettering using the dome tool. The lettering had a vertical base of 0.15"

The piece was tool pathed using a 3/8" ball nose bit and a 50% overlap for the rough and a 1/8" ball nose bit and an 80% overlap for the final. As usual it was machined on the MultiCam from 1.5" thick 30 lb Precision Board.

I look forward to seeing how Becke is going to paint this piece up.