WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Lorna's name plaque

It's that time once more. With the Sculpting Magic Workshops now just over seven weeks away it is time to begin preparations. That means it's time to do the name plaques which we present to all attendees. That's more than thirty different pieces to create. This time to make the plaques I decided to test a bunch of the new bitmaps I'm working as make them. 

The first piece will be a flag. The vectors were created in EnRoute. The lettering and rectangle vectors were created square and level and then I used the patch distort tool to create a waving flag.

 


I then created a flat relief.



I then imported one of the new bitmaps and applied it using a setting of 0.5". The result was a flag that waved vertically in a cool way.



The lettering outline was then raised.


Then it was time for the final step which was to use the bevel tool to 



The front and side views show how much the panel curves on the surface.