Another part of the project we are working on is the fireplace in the original pub area. The ceiling in this section is raised. We will be building a false London roofline in this area with seven or eight decorative (and slightly bent) chimneys poking upwards to the raised ceiling. Some bits like the chimney pots and mantle will be routed from 30 lb Precision Board. Some elements like the chimneys and 'brick facing of the fireplace will be carved from fiberglass reinforced concrete. For the slate roofs we had to put our thinking caps on.
After much thought we decided on 3/8" MDF for the colorful slate tiles. We cut them to random shapes and sized. In this shot Sarah is using the die grinder to create a beveled edge in a random fashion.
Then I taught Becky to paint from five different colored buckets of paint at once - and to leave bush strokes too.
The end result is some pretty realistic slate roofing tiles. There are a ton of them required for this project - enough to keep the ladies busy while I am out of town for the rest of the week!