WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Friday, October 17, 2014

Phil's Pholly

A while back I posted a how-to on the Treasure Quest sign. In the last installment the sign had been laminated over the framework. The rest of the twisted tree had been lathed and was ready for the concrete. Since then we sculpted the concrete 'wood and bark' and allowed the tee to cure before it was ready to drag back in the shop to finish up. I asked one of our workshop attendees, Phil to sculpt the parrot. It was Phil's fourth visit with us and I knew he could easily handle the task. Phil didn't disappoint. I did up the gold coins and pearls that were draped over the top of the sign and did a little art direction for Phil to make sure his style blended seamlessly with the rest of the pieces.



Once the sculpting was done it was time for the crew to lay on the base colors on the tee and treasure.


Phil also put on the first coats of base colors. Our painting crew did the last coat and then went at Pholly with the glazes. The result was fantastic!



Then the crew tackled the tee with the various shades of glaze required to bring the whole thing to life.


The sign and tree is a wonderful mix of various mediums including welded steel, routed Precision Board, sculpted fiberglass reinforced concrete, sculpted Abracadabra Sculpting Epoxy and many coats of paint and glaze. It will be ready to roll out of the shop on Monday, making room for the next batch of features that still need paint.

Stay tuned for more...

-dan