WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Monday, October 3, 2016

Gnome pub sign step by step - part one

As I considered ideas for my third sign for NEB's Fun World Pub I struggled a bit. It had to be witty, a visual pun, have a unique shape and incorporate a fun welded steel bracket. Coming up with the first sign in this series was easy. The second was a little tougher. The third was much harder. But in the end, as always I began to draw - not really knowing what the result would be.There were a few false starts but eventually it began to come to me. The gnome was the first thing that gelled and made me laugh. The sign shape worked from the start. The bracket was next. I drew the top section and then simply copied and flipped it for the bottom. The wording on the sign changed a few times before the clever pun came to mind.  'Garden Variety Gnome Whiskey - anything but ordinary'

I did the quick drawing freehand on my iPad using it linked to my laptop and using Adobe Photoshop. That allowed for endless layers and edits as I went. This is going to be a fun sign!