It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day two and three...

With the heavy lifting out of the way I could start to do the finer details. I wanted to do a section of the wall to a more finished state to make sure I liked it. These projects are done by eye and not so much from plans. I used Coastal Enterprises FSC 88-WB primer to introduce some texture to the large pipes and on the wall (like I had done on the beams). It was applied with a 1.5" brush in a random pattern. It was a tedious job but well worth the effort because of the subtle texture generated. I also tested the distance between rivets on the wainscoting. The Rapid Texture generated in EnRoute looked fabulous on the wall in full scale as did the small 'M' medallion which will repeat in every panel around the room.


The large sono tubes installed like a charm and immediately gave scale to the project. The finished project will be very hard to photograph as you simply can'y get back far enough to include more than three ribs. The room is best experienced in person. It will look far better when the curved ceiling is in place.

Day three saw the installation of the sono tube on the second side. I installed all the baseboards and got a good start on the wainscoting and more paint. Today I spent the day seismically anchoring the beams in place - five steel braces and three structural cables for each beam as per the engineer's instructions. There are no worries about these beams coming down! Then I taped off and masked the work I had done in preparation for the fellow who has to spray everything above with a fire proof flocking material as per the fire code. 

I'll be back on the project on Friday and hopefully make good progress on the wainscoting and other details. In the meantime it's time to do some more designing of routing files and then keep the MultiCam busy.