WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Monday, July 13, 2015

Going all out from the start!

It isn't often we underwhelm a customer but once in a blue moon I submit a design that doesn't achieve what our customer is looking for. A recent project is a good example. Two factors influenced my design. One was the work we had done for them previously and the second was a concern for their budget.

The project was the rebranding and main sign of a small campground. We had built an adventure golf for them two years ago called WhistlePunk Hollow. Now they were switching the name of their campground to suit. I drew up a design of an old boiler of a steam donkey and attached their sign to it.


The customers liked the design but wanted more. They encouraged me to go all out. It had to be in keeping with the theme of the work we did two years ago but it also needed to say CAMPING in a visual fashion. I went back to the drawing board. The area is famous for it's rock climbing so it needed a giant rock face... then I imagined a 1930's four wheel drive up on top with a camper trailer in tow. The client loved it!  


Lesson learned. Go all out right from the start. This would be FUN!