It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Delivery day at the PNE

You can't imagine the fun and excitement of one of our deliveries until you experience it first hand.

The latest began bright and early with a big crane pulling into our yard, followed by a semi truck and trailer. After a quick safety meeting to talk about the logistics of the move it is time to get to work. Each heavy feature is safely and securely hooked to the giant crane and then lifted into place. Careful attention is paid to safety as one of these pieces could easily hurt someone badly (or worse) if something failed.

Once everything is loaded the hold down straps are put in place and cinched tight. Everything is checked multiple times. For today's load we had to get an overweight permit and a special route was selected to ensure every overpass along the sixty mile journey was cleared with room to spare.

Peter and I rode in the chase vehicle keeping an eye on the load and straps as we travelled. It was a little like being in a parade as people took notice of the brightly coloured load as we rolled by. There were plenty of second looks, stares, waves and smiles along the route.

We kept in touch with our client as we travelled so they could coordinate their crews and heavy machinery for our arrival. When we arrived we again held another meeting to plan the unloading process and safety procedures. Then it was time to hook up the first piece and swing it into position. Everything had been carefully marked out in advance. The stump with the drum on top was the first.

Then the truck and crane were relocated across the property for the second phase of the unloading process.

The Flutterbye tree also was carefully positioned on it's predetermined marks.

The last crowning touch was the colourful Flutterbye which seemed to fly into it's place by magic. In the space of a few hours the first of two deliveries for this project was complete.