WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Sunday, June 20, 2010

It looks like GOLD because it is!

Yesterday was productive with lots of progress on all fronts on the doctor's sign. I painted the rocks with the blended base coats to color the rocks and then using a cheapy, undercoat gun with low air pressure to create a granite looking speckle. Once the paint was dry I then painted in the grout lines between the rocks.
While I was waiting for the various coats of paint to dry on the rocks I painted on the gold size which looks a lot like varnish. I used a slow size this time. It took 12 hours to set up enough to apply the gold.
This morning I came in and spent a leisurely hour carefully applying the 23K gold leaf... and it was instant BLING! The dark greens of the sign make the gold feel really rich. The sign sparkles even in the artificial light of the shop. It should look spectacular out in the sunlight! Delivery day isn't for another 10 days but we will enjoy it here until then. The sign will also be a great demonstration piece for our workshop next weekend.
-dan