WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Friday, June 18, 2010

More progress

Progress on the doctor's sign has been somewhat sporadic as I've been busy with outside projects in the nice weather. With the approaching Sign Magic Workshop it's time to get it out of the way. It will be great eye candy for our guests. The doctor popped by today for a progress report and was delighted with the sign - even in its unfinished state.
I had worked last week to apply the primer and then the base coats of color. The dark green color was exactly matched to his building. I painted the woodgrain area a lighter, custom mixed shade of the green. Over this I would add two layers of glaze to highlight the grain to its best effect.
While the layers of paint cured I sculpted the rock work from fiberglass-reinforced-concrete. This will dry for three days before I paint it to look like real rock.
While the concrete cured I painted the pinstripes and ornaments using the light green color I had mixed for the base color of the woodgrain. For those with real sharp eyes you will see a slight modification in the sign. I had mistakenly routed an early version of the design. We had changed the bottom line from 'Inc.' to 'Since 1986' but I had grabbed the wrong vector file when I was creating the router file in EnRoute. The fix was simple and the file only took a few minutes to create... I used the die grinder to take off the incorrect lettering and then glued on a freshly routed Precision Board panel in its place. The router makes such revisions relatively painless and very quick.
Next up is the GOLD!
-dan