WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What's up doc?



The latest project in the shop is a sign for a doctor. His clinic is in a historic farmhouse, now more than a hundred years old. The design for this sign needed to reflet that heritage and the profession of the doctor. We would use the logo of the Naturopathic doctors of British Columbia with permission.
I created the file in Enroute. It would be routed from multiple layers of 30 lb Precision Board. The face would be whittled from 1.5" board. The file was created in EnRoute in about an hour. The wood grain was created with a bitmap from my collection. The lettering was prismatic and the logo slightly domed for added effect. It was on the MultiCam about 14 hours.
I let the file run through the night and in the morning the completed sign was waiting for me. Next issue I'll show how I laminated the Precision Board over a welded steel frame for maximum strength...
-dan