WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Final concept


The projects I build all start with a pen and ink concept drawing (now digital). This drawing is my way to work out many of the  challenges. Even so it is kept loose - all freehand in order to allow lots of 'wiggle room' to facilitate the addition of new and better ideas as the build begins. The Institute for Study of Mechanical Fish challenge sign is no different. Today I spent a little time woking up the final concept drawing. Even as I worked my ideas changed. Not everything was noted on the drawing for as I begin creating the files and then modelling the sign things will continue to change - right up to the final stroke of paint. There will be lots of fun surprises along the way.


Stay tuned for this fun project to come to life!

-dan