It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Onsite work

I absolutely love designing in EnRoute on the computer and then routing our pieces on the MultiCam but the truth is that this most often gets us about 50% of where we are going. It's a good thing I also love to do the hand work and finishing.

The WhistlePunk Hollow Adventure Golf project is now in it's final stages after more than six months of production. All of the features except the small signs we built with the help of the software and machine are now installed. We just got back from three days onsite, working long hours to tidy the job up. A few things simply had to be built in place because of their size and complexity. As we worked out in the weather the last three days I was reminded of how much more efficient it is to work in the comfort of our shop/studio where everything is where all the tools and materials are handy and the conditions perfect.

In the last three days we welded/lathed mudded and carved three bridges and a giant rock waterfall feature which is part of the logging train feature we built in our shop.

The sign over the gate which was completed some time ago also was installed.

While I was with the small crew in Squamish the ladies were busy in the shop putting the final glazes and paint on the small signs.

I'll be heading back to Squamish for a few more days next week to tidy things up there. I'll grab a bunch of shots of the finished project then. Stay tuned...