WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Da plane boss... da plane!

We all have projects that seem to continually get pushed back as life simply gets too busy. I'm no different. I had built a couple small plane models using EnRoute and our MultiCam a little more than a year ago. One of the planes was given to a friend of mine from Texas who had attended one of our Sign Magic Workshops. The other was earmarked for a sample sign for our shop. It sat on the shelf ever since. A couple of days ago I finally got the idea I would use for the sign.
I remembered watching a crop duster working when I was traveling a few years ago. I remember being very impressed as I watched the pilot lay down his load with incredible skill, whipping the plane back and forth across that short field. This little sign would honor him and others who do that type of work. I brought my laptop into the house and as we watched our favorite TV show I built the vector file during the commercials. I called the fictitious business 'DUSTY'S FLYING SERVICE - SINCE 1954' (I was born in '54) :)
Yesterday morning when I came into the shop I kicked our MultiCam into warm up mode. As it went through that 15 minute cycle I built the 3D file for this sign in EnRoute. I'll walk you through that process next installment...
-dan