It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Friday, April 2, 2010

Throwing a wrench in it...

I needed a new display piece or two for an up coming car show we will be showing our signs in. It is a brand new market for us but it could be pretty good. We will of course bring our little sidewalk sign/truck to the show and it is bound to be a hit. The signs in the back were made on the router with 30 lb Precision Board. The truck was sculpted with epoxy over a welded steel frame.
The reality however is that not everyone can afford (or wants) a large piece like this. I needed some smaller pieces to catch potential buyer's eyes. I figured most folks who work on cars have a shop. It's a personal space that needs a sign to identify it as their very own. I didn't have to look any further than my own toolbox for inspiration. I grabbed a wrench form the drawer and quickly whipped up a vector file - adding my own name instead of the real brand that was on my tools.
It only took a few minutes to create the reliefs in EnRoute, tool path it and send it to the MultiCam. I threw a part sheet of 1.5" thick 30 lb Precision Board on the table and set the machine in motion. Then I went to do other chores.
In less than an hour the router was done. I had two halves of a large wrench ready for gluing. I spread on a thin coat of PB Bond 240 glue, misted with water and clamped things up. I'll be back tomorrow with the continuation of this story...