WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

More fun

One of my favorite things about my MultiCam router is that it does it's work unattended - while I do other things. Late last night I started this detailed file - then went to bed. I slept good too! This morning when I came in to check it was just finishing up the file. That is the definition of convenience and ease!


Sarah came in just before noon today and in less than three hours we made pretty good progress on the bull's head sculpt.  A heavy steel rod goes through the head and into the horns to make sure they stay put for a life time.


The bull's head was fastened securely from the back of the sign. I'll weld up a steel frame to laminate the front and back sides over and then finish the sculpt in place. It is always best to sculpt as it will appear finished if possible to get the proportions right - even for a cartoon. The funny groove in the horizontal piece of the sign was a routing mistake. I accidentally called up the wrong file as they were named very similar... but no real harm was done as the top piece will laminate over it before we are done . by the end of the week this side of the sign should be almost ready for paint!


One thing for sure about this sign... it is going to be HEAVY! The wind shouldn't bother it too much.

-dan