WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sonbuilt 3D logo build part 7

Today I spent an enjoyable afternoon sculpting details on the Sonbuilt sign. It brought back memories of work I did decades ago when I made my living as a pen and ink artist I did a series of drawings of the many small waterfalls I saw in my travels. I remember the painstaking effort it took to draw the many leaves on the bushes and in the details like the fallen logs.

Fast forward 30 years. These days I still spend some time drawing out my ideas, but then go into the workshop to make the projects in full three dimensions. As I formed little balls of epoxy sculpting medium and applied them one by one to the sculpture it brought back pleasant memories of the time I spent a my drawing table so long ago.

It gave me pleasure to be recreating one of those scenes I discovered back when I was on the road promoting my pen and ink art. I was reminded once again how things we do in our youth often prepare us for things we choose to tackle later in life. The more things change, the more they are the same.


We made good progress this afternoon, finishing a little more than half the background. After we finish the other half I'll have to paint it before putting in the foreground trees. Doing it in that fashion will make things a whole lot easier.


Stay tuned for more progress.

-dan