WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Friday, January 28, 2011

Three dimensional challenge

Our next project is one I've been looking forward to for a while. The sign is for an upscale restaurant in a beautiful new brick building that looks to be a hundred years old. The sign shape and details were inspired by the cast iron windows which were imported from a building salvaged in Paris. Our job will be to build a 3D routing file that will duplicate this look.  We may use the same file to produce the window trims for the inside decor. The knight will duplicate (in miniature) a larger piece inside the restaurant. The bracket will be hand forged in our shop. It too reflects the style of some of the trim we will do inside the restaurant.


The sign is to be routed from 30 lb Precision Board in layers and then assembled. It will be double sided and measure 4' wide x 5' tall x 12" deep.  


It will be midweek before I get a chance to build this file and send the project to the MultiCam. In the meantime take a close look at the concept and think about how you would tackle this project if it came to your shop. Next week I'll show you our way of doing it.

-dan