WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Make two aspirin - send them in the morning

 One of the relatively simple, but still interesting projects we did this year was for a sign shop back east. They needed two giant aspirins for one of their clients. I raided the medicine cabinet to measure up one of the little white pills... then scaled it up to a giant three feet in diameter. The logo vectors were downloaded from the internet. The files were simple to create in EnRoute. It was a simple domed relief with the letters being a reverse bevel. They were cut using a 3/8" ball nose bit. While the faces were on the MultiCam I set about figuring out how to build the sturdy frame inside which wold hold the eye bolts  to hang the heavy pieces from the ceiling.


The pills were routed from 30 lb Precision Board. I decided to laminate styrofoam into the center to keep the weight down just a little. Even so, the pills weighed in at a hundred pounds each. The pieces glued together using Coastal Enterprises one part urethane glue. Being smoother than most of our work I did more sanding on this project than I probably did the rest of the year - not my favorite task.


The end result was two pills I'd really choke on if I had to swallow them. We boxed them up and sent them on their way. I bumped into my customer at the USSC show in Atlantic City a few weeks ago. The giant pills are still hanging proudly and doing their task.


-dan