It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Saturday, December 11, 2010

One more time.

The horse's head turned out pretty fine. I filled in the missing pieces with sculpting epoxy and called my client as she had asked for a look before we got into paint. She loved what we had done but asked for some tweaks which would appeal to her husband as he would be the recipient of the piece at Christmas. On further discussion we decided that what was really needed was a change to a much more cartoon looking horse. The change was fine with me as the routed head could be removed and used on another piece for our display board. The scroll could be salvaged without difficulty.

After she left I broke out the tools and did just that. It came off cleanly with no damage to either piece. I used my jig saw to whip up a rough shape our of Precision Board and then mixed up some epoxy. My plan was to only rough out the new horse's head and finish the details the next day. But as always once I started I really got into it and was having way too much fun to stop. In only a couple of hours I had worked up a fun old nag. I snapped a couple of pictures and blasted them off to my client.

My client was delighted with the new horse as was I. It will now get it's solid base coats of paint and then the glazes will be layered on to finish the project. I'll post some pics when it is done.