WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Questions and answers

I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to post a comment or question or sends me an email. Feedback allows me to do a better job in the future at providing information about the things we do with our routing machine and the things we do to finish our projects in subsequent steps. This week everyone seems to want to know the steps we take after the routing is done. So here goes...

In the next few posts I'll try and answer those questions.  Since the projects are still underway the answers may come out in dribbles as I can take the pictures to show what I'm taking about.

One of the questions I fielded this week concerned how we attached the lath to the welded pencil rod frame. The answer is simple. We use rebar tie wire and end nippers. 


A loop is formed and it is pushed through the mesh, then the short end is pulled back through again around the pencil rod.


Using end nippers, it is grabbed, tightened, twisted and cut off in one smooth motion. It takes practice to get good and fast.  The key is to pull the wire tight with your left hand and grip it close to the steel bar.


When you twist it everything should snug up fast and after only a bit more than a 90 degree twist you can cut it off. As I said it is easier said than done. Keep the Bandaids handy as the metal ends are all sharp... real sharp. Ask me how I know.  :)

If you look close you can see the neat rebar wire tie in the center of the picture. You want to put enough ties on your piece to keep things nice and secure... but no more than that or you will just waste time, and bandaids if you aren't careful.


I hope this helps explain the first bunch of questions I received this week...

-dan